Feel like a MasterChef with this simple, but impressive starter put together by our Destination Manager, Carmen Muller, that is perfect for date nights, family gatherings or festive celebrations.
Serves 4-6 as a starter or side dish
1 kg baby leeks
50ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
30ml aged sherry or red wine vinegar
200g ash rolled* goats cheese
50g hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1. Wash and clean the leeks thoroughly.
2. Place in a roasting tray and drizzle over the olive oil, sherry vinegar and pieces of butter.
3. Cover with foil and roast in a preheated oven of 180°C for about 20-25 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to slightly cool.
5. Plate on desired platter, crumble over the goat’s cheese and drizzle the leeks with the roasting juices. Garnish with the chopped hazelnuts and enjoy at room temperature with a glass of Kaapse Vonkel Brut!
* ash helps to neutralise the surface acidity of the cheese and gives a striking appearance when cut, however black pepper rolled goat’s cheese will work just as well in this dish.