Paulina Swarts is one of our waitresses at Cuvée and the passion for what she does shines through every smile, with which she welcomes our guests. Fondly referred to as “Mev. Cuvée” by some of our restaurant’s loyal patrons, she believes that “people can feel whether you are genuine or not”. She enjoys learning and in turn, sharing that knowledge with others.
- Where were you born?
On the farm, many moons ago.
- How long have you worked at Simonsig?
All my life. I actually stared out working in the cellar, but when this opportunity was presented to me, I grabbed it with both hands!
- Why did you choose this career path?
I love working with people.
- What do you love about your job?
Interacting with people from all over the world, and sharing my knowledge with them.
- What is the most challenging part of job?
Having to smile every day, even when you are not having a good one.
- How would your friends describe you?
Always friendly, helpful and singing.
- What is your personal theme song / mantra?
I don’t have anything specific, but listening to and singing Gospel music always gets me to a place where I feel like I can take on any challenges that come my way.
- What did you want to be growing up?
A fashion designer.
- How do you relax / unwind?
By singing or listening to music.
- Which living person do you most admire, and why?
Celine Dion, I am a big fan of her music and I really respect the journey she made – starting from very humble beginnings to becoming famous.
- If you could choose your age forever, what age would you choose and why?
21, because then you are still young and free.
- If you could be a super hero, what would you want your superpowers to be?
Just to create peace wherever I go.
- What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Passing Grade 12. Growing up, money was scarce and education was seen as a bit of a luxury. Despite this, I persevered and managed to matriculate, which is why this still remains as one of my greatest achievements.
- What is your most treasured possession?
One of my mother’s cabinets with a built-in radio.
- What are you most grateful for?
- What is the worst job you’ve done?
- What gets you up in the morning?
My two kids. I want to give them the opportunities that I didn’t have.
- What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
To be myself and not to pretend.
- What do you owe your parents?
Respect, that’s what they taught me.
- Favourite wine at the moment?
Frans Malan 2002.