Meet Itumeleng Mohale, or Tumi for short, one of our wine advisors who came all the way from Soweto in Johannesburg to follow his passion for good wine. Upbeat and funny, it comes as no surprise that no one can be sad in his company for too long – his name means happiness after all!
- How long have you been working at Simonsig?
4 years and still going strong.
- Why did you choose this career path?
I love wine and I enjoy working with people. It seemed like the best of both worlds to me.
- What do you love about your job?
Mostly wine and being able to showcase my skills and talent.
- What is the most challenging part of your job?
Nothing really. I just put on a smile and give a good service to our customers.
- How would your friends describe you?
Humble, very persistent and funny.
- What is your personal theme song / mantra?
Any jazz music – it lifts my soul.
- What did you want to be growing up?
Geologist, or entrepreneur.
- How do you relax / unwind?
I go to the beach or play video games.
- Which living person do you most admire, and why?
My grandmother Mpho Mary Molefi . She taught me that “failing doesn’t make you a failure” – a valuable life lesson that I will never forget.
- If you could choose your age forever, what age would you choose and why?
5, I will spend my time playing and not worrying about life’s problems.
- If you could be a super hero, what would you want your superpowers to be?
Save the world from climate change like my favourite hero Storm from X-Men – and bring more rain to the Western Cape!
- What do you consider to be your greatest achievement?
Being part of Simonsig team, of course! I’ve learnt so much working here.
- What is your most treasured possession?
I have a few! My Playstation 4, ID, cellphone and laptop.
- How would you like to be remembered?
Someone who is very friendly and who cares a lot about other people.
- Did you ever want to change your name to something else?
No, my name means happiness. I will never change it.
- What is the worst job you’ve done?
Working at a car wash to get pocket money.
- What has been your biggest disappointment?
None so far – I’ve been lucky.
- What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
Live each day to the fullest.
- What do you owe your parents?
Everything, but mostly my values.
- Which wine will you be having with dinner tonight?
An ice cold Chenin Blanc.