Meet head-chef Stephanie de Wet, or Chefanie – as her team lovingly dub her. Born in Swellendam in the Overberg, she would like to be seen as someone who is true to herself, kind-hearted and caring for others.
- How long have you been at Simonsig?
2 years and 6 months
- Why did you become a chef?
I just loved being in the kitchen. Since I was little I used to bake a lot. Both my grannies were excellent cooks, I think that is part of where I inherited the love for cooking.
- What do you love about your job?
Making delicious food that people enjoy.
- What is the most challenging part of job?
Trying to keep everybody happy, including myself.
- What character traits do you need to be successful as a chef?
A positive attitude, love for cooking, respect for the ingredients, open to criticism, a good leader and willing to try new and innovative things.
- How would your team describe you?
A friendly, free-spirited, soft-hearted person. Someone who always inspires them to do better.
- What’s your personal theme song / mantra?
“Pumping Blood” from NONONO, and “Peaches” from In the Valley Below.
- Who do you most admire, and why?
My parents are my role models for always putting their children first. They taught us to love life and live it to the fullest, to take on every opportunity and to enjoy what we do.
- What do you get up to when you’re not in Cuvee’s kitchen?
Well, I love to just relax at home or be out in nature. I will go visit my parents at their farm once a month or so.
- What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Becoming a good and passionate young chef.
- What is your biggest fear?
Drowning, suffocating or to be the last person on earth.
- What’s top on your bucket list?
I want to go skydive or hang-gliding, but I have such a fear for heights.
- What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
Do the best you can and don’t take anything for granted.
- How would you like to be remembered?
I would like to be remembered as someone who was true to herself, kind-hearted and who always cared for others.
- What is your most treasured possession?
My Santoku knives.
- Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?
Both my grannies, to show them the woman I have become.
- What do you owe your parents?
- Favourite Simonsig wine at the moment?
- Sweet or savoury?
- Ultimate junk food weakness?